Need to increase through-put on constraint resource (die cast machines).
- Was using false productivity numbers based on operator up-time
- Had no scoreboards for posting results
- No method for assuring sufficient machine availability
- Change measurement to 100% utilization based
- Create daily and monthly scoreboards for operators and entire shift
- Developed form for "machine availability" assurance
- Production scheduling started reporting shots per hour based on 24 hours/day in
lieu of "up-time"
- Process engineering developed a daily spreadsheet which documented shots per
hour and posted daily for all three shifts
- Die cast department established benchmark and goals for 2000, 2001 and 2002, conducted
shift-wide brainstorming sessions for improvement actions
- Support departments agreed to increase labor when needed to support machine availability
ELEVATE: Removed "special" causes of individual shift constraints, increased overall
through-put by 27%.
INERTIA: (CELEBRATE) Named "Through-Put Improvement Team" as the team of the year, furnished
prizes for each quarter over goal and most importantly, we are making more money now
and in the future.
[back to 5 step examples]